Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thoughts on Overthinking

Well, since I have a blog and I just recently got back from Honduras, I figured I would blog about my visit there. Before we left, I had a couple of people tell me that I would get something out of this trip. Until this very moment, I hadn't realized what it was that I really got. I got no spectacular revelation on this trip, no slobbery, snot-soaked crying session, nothing noteworthy aside from one noteworthy thing I got the chance to be a part of. There was a man at a church we were at who complained of pain in his joints and said he was blind in his left eye. I was one of a couple of people to pray for him and when he opened his eyes, crying, I grabbed a translator who related that his vision was now perfect. I then cried a bit while hugging him and went to sit down after that. What I just now figured out that I got was faith.

That was the first time I'd ever laid hands on someone in prayer and seen them immediately healed and it set me back a little bit. Since then, my confidence and faith in God and what He wants to do has pretty well increased. I think that one of the keys to having faith is to not overthink things. I don't know how many times I've said to myself and others "stop worrying, just love Jesus." We know what faith is, we know how to have it, but we still find ourselves faithless more often than confident in what Jesus can do. It's easy to begin to think "oh, well, what if he's not healed?" or "what if I look like a weirdo going to pray for this guy?" Honestly, it doesn't matter. God, being sovereign and Holy has control and will not let His name be sullied. Jordan Evans and I had a long conversation the other morning where we talked about faith and how the American Church is pretty faithless. Again, the thing is, faith is really simple. You just believe.

Now that sounds all good and well and it sounds like it would make a nice greeting card, but it really is that simple. We overthink everything. One thing I've found out is that overthinking leads to inaction. I feel like I've said that before, but it bears repeating. Now one must take caution because too little thought leads to stupid decisions. A few incidents come to mind with this, but that isn't the focus of this blog. Stop thinking too much and just act. A lot of people don't have any problem overthinking and acting, I commend them for that, it's something I wish I could do with greater ease. I tend to think of every reason why something won't work out or will go bad and then I get so flustered with it that I don't do anything about the present situation.

I've noticed that I've begun a habit of getting my momentum rolling when writing a blog, then abruptly stopping and stating my point bluntly. Not sure if this is a good thing, but it is what it is.

Have faith. Don't overthink it. Go now therefore and act.

Love,
Colton

P.S. Honduras was awesome. I've caught the mission trip bug and I'm definitely going next year wherever we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment