Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On the Mezzanine Floor

"Everyone I know seems to be having a hard time right now." Those were the words of consolation my mom offered as I trudged off to my room today. Sometimes our spiritual seasons don't match the seasons of the earth, but sometimes they do. I've heard it's supposed to get cold again this week before it finally warms up for Spring. I tend to get bogged down easily with things. I let things get to me through my convoluted, over-analyzation of things that leads me to confusion rather than an answer. I don't understand who God is a lot of times. This is the third draft of this blog simply because I don't know what to say.

I am not a new Christian anymore. My relationship with God has been tried and tested and I'm still here, aware of the fact that God is very real and very faithful. I've got the concept of John 3:16 down. I think the next thing I, as a Christian, need to understand is found in 1 Corinthians 13. I won't go into breaking it down and saying what it is I need to learn and why I need to learn it, that's too tedious a task for my level of tiredness right now. God is Love and Love is very clearly defined in here. My hermeneutically sensitive friends will probably point out my failure to include context in removing this chapter from the rest of the book, but it stands well enough on it's own.

I think I'm going to sit down and try to memorize the whole chapter. I've forgotten most of the scriptures I've memorized simply because my mind doesn't retain things well, but this is too important to let myself forget. I've a lot on my mind that I either can't or don't want to put into words right now, so I'll end with this:

" 1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
  
"4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

"8Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

"13So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

 I'm trying to become a man now. I can not do this, nor anything else, apart from Love.

Love, perhaps,
Colton

P.S. I must admit that I stole the title and somewhat the idea from miss Haylee, since I can't exactly get away from giving credit where due since 50% of my readership was there when the conversation was had that sparked this blog.

2 comments:

  1. It's true. Also, you stole "mezzanine floor" from me. I was gonna name a blog entry that soon. haha. I really liked this entry, Colty. It has a great balance between "I don't know anything" and "I can use big words." Most wonderful is the fact that it really sounds like you. Luff jou mi amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little "meh" about this one. My thoughts weren't as polished as they normally are. And my usage of the word "hermeneutically" was a nod to mister Jacob, who taught me what it meant and who I seriously doubt reads this blog, but I felt deserved a nod anyway.

    ReplyDelete